Search This Blog

The Over The Hill Gang

The Over The Hill Gang
Let's ride! Riders are Jerry Cole, Billy Niverson, John Nave, Jack McClain, Larry Davis, Larry Burk, Merle Combs, Charles Thomas, Art Adrianson, Larry Miller.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Drinking the Kool Aid (riding a Harley)

I started riding motorcycles back in the 1970s. My Dad , brother, and both brothers-in-law all rode Harleys so I didn't stand a chance. Being contrary, I started out with a 1973 Yamaha RD350 in 1973:

and traded up for a 1975 TX500 in 1975:

After dropping the Yamaha on my foot (and breaking a bone in my foot), I decided to sell it. It was very top-heavy, especially with a full tank of gas.

Years pasted and finally the children were grown so in 1998, I took up flying. I flew Challenger ultralights for about six years and then gave it up when Sport Pilot licensing came into effect.

Me flying my first Challenger I built in my garage:


My second Challenger I bought already built:




I decided I wanted to ride something with only two wheels so I bought a used Yamaha Zuma scooter.



The scooter was a lot of fun but even after I increased the horsepower it was still too slow. I could see a motorcycle in my future so I bought a new 2006 Suzuki SV650:




To say that the SV650 was a great bike is an understatement. I really liked it except for one thing; it was the most uncomfortable bike to ride for any distance that's ever been made (for me at least). The seat was so hard I had to stand on the pegs after a couple hours in the saddle.

It was time to get a long-distance bike that was comfortable--a big Harley!

I asked the HD dealer at Wabash, Indiana which model I should buy. He told me to start out with a Dyna Super Glide. So I bought a new 2007 model:



The above photo is me and my grandson after riding out to the open house at Stone's Harley Davidson, Marion, IN.

After riding the Super Glide for awhile I decided I really needed a long riding tourer model. One I could ride comfortably all day. I loved the look of the Street Glides, so I traded up to a 2008 model:


Me and my great-grandson.

So, that's where we are today.

The Street Glide is a really great long distance cruiser. My group, The Over The Hill Gang, ride 200-300 mile rides each Wednesdays and Saturdays. I never get tired of riding my Harley.

No comments: