Search This Blog

The Over The Hill Gang

The Over The Hill Gang
Let's ride! Riders are Jerry Cole, Billy Niverson, John Nave, Jack McClain, Larry Davis, Larry Burk, Merle Combs, Charles Thomas, Art Adrianson, Larry Miller.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Greenville, Ohio

Five of us rode over to Greenville, Ohio, today.  We ate lunch at The Mill Street Restaurant, in Gaston, and then I led the group east, out of Gaston.  We rode over to US 35 and IN 28 and went east to Albany, Ridgeville, and Union City, Indiana.  We picked up Ohio 571 at Union City, Ohio and went east to Greenville, Ohio.

Half of Union City is in Indiana and half is in Ohio.  Just before we arrived in Union City, I stopped and took this picture of a wind turbine:


I had never seen a two-bladed wind turbine before, only three-bladed.  It looked odd to me, like a big airplane propeller.


I read here: http://www.winchesternewsgazette.com/articles/2010/02/13/news/doc4b7576cf3ede8484137533.txt that there will be two of them.

Jerry Cole bought gas in Union City, Ohio and a man at the station said the wind turbines have not worked, so far.

When we arrived at Greenville, Ohio we were greeted with a "round-about" in the center of the city.  I wasn't sure how they worked but caught on quickly that everyone yields to go in, and then you get out where you want.  I've read that "round-abouts" are very common in Europe, especially England, but I've not ran into very many here in the U.S.  The "Circle", in Indianapolis, is one of the few I've seen.  Of course, we all got separated going through the "round-about", but we got back together at the stop lights.

Greenville is another pretty Ohio town.  Ohio seems blessed with pretty towns.

We then headed north on US 127 to Celina, where we stopped at our favorite restaurant for pie and coffee.  They are still working on Ohio 29/IN67 so we detoured down south on Ohio 49 to Fort Recovery, Ohio and then went west on Ohio 119 to IN 26 back to Portland, and then on home.  I got home around six PM.  A very nice ride and a beautiful day to ride.  I told one of the guys that today is a "blessing".  Temperatures in the high 70s, clear skies,  and little wind.

Rode today: Larry Miller, John Nave, Jerry Cole, Bill Niverson, and myself.

202 miles rode in about seven hours.

No comments: